Thursday, July 9, 2009

Abhorrence - Abhorrence (1990) and Vulgar Necrolatry (1990)

Abhorrence is of course the pre-Amorphis project of Tomi Koivusaari. And it sounds like really early Amorphis: brutal death metal with deep growls and crushing riffs, with a few melodic bits like on The Karelian Isthmus. But mostly it's just not that interesting. Actually, I found the 7" really boring, while Vulgar Necrolatry was decent. The best song was the title track from VN, which I didn't find surprising considering that Amorphis covered it for the CD release of TKI. Even still, this was mostly a curiosity for me at this point. I had some nostalgic fun listening to VN, but neither demo is really something that I'm going to listen to again.

Both demos (and some other recordings) are available from the band's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment