Friday, July 3, 2009

Innersight - Blue Shadow (1998) and I Have Seen the Future (1999)

Innersight is a strange band from Hungary whose sound has changed dramatically over the years. These are their first two demos, which are described as "post-rock". I'm not really sure what that's supposed to be, but to me they sound like Joe Satriani's "Midnight" (from SwtA) and "Day at the Beach" (from FiaBD): solo clean guitar (though clearly not acoustic) with heavy reverb and lots of delays. The guitarist uses a variety of strumming and picking techniques to provide a little variety, but it's not enough. There are no other instruments here: no drums, no bass, no keys, no singing. Now, I actually like the two Satriani songs, but they're only 2 minutes each. These two demos clock in at 71 minutes between the two of them. That's an awful long time for the same shtick. About the only bright spot after the first few minutes was the cover of "My Friend of Misery". It took me a while to figure out what song it was, since I haven't listened to the Black album in probably 18 years. Anyway, Innersight's next couple of releases are supposed to be progressive death metal. I'll review them in the near future.

This release and all of their releases are freely available from their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment